Re: Just another anoying newbie question :-)

> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:34:02 +0100
> From: "Andrew Holmes" <andys.plants at btinternet_com>

Well, at least it's not a Frequent newbie question!

> The tank is 36" long by 18" high and 15" deep(front-to-back).
> Following advice from the web (George's page I think), I want to plant the
> tank heavily to begin with. Here is what I was thinking of getting, any
> comments would be greatly appreciated. The names are taken from the plant
> catalogue I have.
>
> 25 Cabomba aquatica
> 25 Cabomba australis
> 25 Cabomba piauhyensis
> 25 Eleocharis vivipara
> 25 Myriophyllum matogrossense
> 10 Echinodorus grisbachii
> 15 Echinodorus tenellus
> 10 Sagittaria pussilus
> 4 Salvania natans
> 15 Alternathera rosaefolia
> 3 Echinodorus paniculatus
> 2 Echinodorus tropica parviflorius

You have WAY too many Cabomba and Myriophyllum.  These stems can easily produce
a leaf structure 2" in diameter (per stem!). 100 of those at roughly 4 sq in per
will use up 400 sq in of the total 540 sq in in your tank.  Maybe 5 of each kind
will be sufficient.

My web page says "plant heavily with fast growing plants at first".  Unless you
have good luck with the Cabomba, nothing in the list is particularly fast
growing, especially in a new setup. You might include Bacopa, Rotala and
Ludwigia at first to get things going.  Once you are past the first few unstable
months, swap out the ones you don't like for some of the fancy, more difficult
plants in your list.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado
 Do you want to know how I did it?
  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts