Hippurus vulgaris (Mare's Tail)

>This sounds like what is called "Horse Tail" around here. It is rough
>textured and has a stem kind of bamboo-looking with thin (needle like)
>leaves coming out around the stem at regular intervals.

>Olga
>in Vancouver

Mare's tail (Hippurus vulgaris) is not the same plant as horsetail
(Equisetum sp.), although, as you note, they do share many structural
similarities.  Actually, Mare's Tail is a flowering plant, whereas
horsetail is not.

I am quite interested in horsetails as well and I grow a number of species.

Thanks for your reply.

- Chad Husby
Blacksburg, Virginia