Re: Coolie Loaches and other plant-tank-safe-fish

> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:16:24 -0700
> From: Jim Wilson <freaks at aracnet_com>
>
> Does anyone have info they could share about
> Coolie Loaches in a planted aquarium?

Nice, harmless fish.  In a well-planted tank, you may see more of them,
since they will drape themselves on the plants sometimes.  If you have
some floating water sprite, they may well spawn.  You probably won't
notice this has happened until you count them and find there are more
in there than you started with.  This may not happen until you break down
the tank.  Keep a group and they will perform some amazing acrobatic
chases through your aquatic jungle.

> My second question is what fish or types of fish (ie. Cryprinids,
> Characins, Anabantoids etc....) are "good" for the planted aquarium?
> Has any one put a list together on a web site?  Is there much on this
> topic in the APD archives?  I didn't find much in the archives.
> The only fish that I have kept so far in the plant tanks are Otto's.

It's easier to make a list of fish that aren't suitable for a planted
tank.  This is mostly big clumsy ones, ones that like to dig and serious
herbivores.  The first two groups are mainly large to medium cichlids,
although many small cichlids are suitable for planted tanks.  Herbivores
include some cichlids (notably severums) and silver dollars, scats, some
large barbs and goldfish.  Most other common fish I can think of are fine
in a planted tank.  E.g. tetras, small barbs, rasboras, Corydoras and small
loricariid catfish, killifish, anabantoids, livebearers, etc.

If you are in doubt about a particular species of fish, ask here.