Glossostigma

I'm having fun working on growing out a patch of Glossostigma
elatinoides for the first time.  (My LFS finally started carrying the
stuff.)  It is growing well in soft water under bright light (110 watts
of 6700K compact fluorescent lighting over a 40 gal. regular tank with
Dupla laterite and a hand full of peat granules in the substrate.
Tropica Mastergrow is added weekly with water changes).   It seems to be
a stem plant with most new growth coming in vertical, despite the bright
light.  The stem nodes do have fine root hairs, but it is not clear to
me how to get the plant to 'lay down.'  So far, the plant has not
produced the horizontal runners I was expecting.

In volume 33 of the Aqua Journal there is a question and answer about
growing glosso that suggests one might trim off the vertical growth.
Amano states that an experienced aquariast might trim glosso leaves that
come in on top of other glosso leaves.  Is this the technique?  How have
you persuaded your glosso to grow horizontally?

TIA.  Regards, Steve Dixon  in San Francisco