Hygro and red plants

Re:  Why Hygrophila species may not grow

Yes, even the easiest plants may not grow in
conditions they consider "poor."  Before I increased
my light to 3watts/gal and started using CO2 addition,
I could NOT get Hygrophila stricta to grow.  All it did
was eventually turn yellow, then brown and die.

Now, it grows extremely well, but it seems to need a
great deal of fertilization relative to other plants.  This
makes sense, since it grows so fast and puts out
large leaves.  I give it Jobes sticks every 3-4 weeks or
when I see the lower leaves start to fall off.

Re:  red plants revisited
I re-reminded myself (by checking references at
home) that Neil F. and others are absolutely right that
red pigments in plants can also serve as accessory
pigments to phytochrome systems.  In other words,
they help "gather" light of other than the standard (for
plants) wavelengths, a definite adaptation to scattered
light found in shade (and presum., underwater).

Roxanne Bittman