Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #366

Olga wrote:

> Yay Dave! The very last thing I want to say about "cedar" is that everyone
> should have learned from this thread that "cedar" as a name means very
> little. Find out what the scientific name of the wood in question is and
> then ask on this list if it can be used in an aquarium. Someone is bound to
> know IF they have the "real" name. And if you are stumped at finding the
> real name try a university in your area. Probably they will have a
> department with someone in it who can tell you. THEN you can ask about it
> on this digest. :)
>
> Dave, what does YMMV stand for??

I'm planning on purchasing the cedar/ceder stump in question from a shop
that sells "natural" wood, like stumps and slabs for, making
tables/clocks. They import wood from all over the US. I also inquired as
to it's origin, but they had no idea, to them it was simply, cedar.
That's why I couldn't be more specific. I've been around long enough to
know that if you phrase a question in generalities, that's the type of
answers you receive. There were enough positive responses, for me to
give it a go. If the majority of answers had been negative, I would have
forgotten about it, and tried something else. So, even though a lot of
the information was contradictory, and I made light of that in my last
post, it was still good enough. When was the last time you saw everyone
on a list agree about anything? It's the nature of the beast, and you
have to work within those parameters. If anyone posts a question to
_ANY_ list, and expects a cut and dried response, good luck.

YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary.

Augie Eppler
Green Cove Springs, Fl.