Re: Light Intensity, Spectrum and Hard Water

>Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 19:30:41 -0400
>From: krandall at world_std.com
>
>As far as whether it is the hardness of my water or some other toxicity or
>nutrient blockage problem I can't say for certain.  Certainly by European
>standards, my water is not very hard, (GH and KH both @ 5)  but it is much
>harder (and probably contains more impurities) than either yours or
>George's.

We boost both our GH and KH to 5 degrees (about 100 ppm for the math
challenged).

>I get good growth, (in everything but that danged soil substrate
>tank ;-) and can grow a good many species, but only by pumping in more
>light, more CO2 and more nutrients than you do.  I haven't compared
>directly with George, so I don't know how much CO2 or trace element
>supplementation he does, but I don't believe he ever adds N, and I need to
>fairly regularly.

We maintain 15 mg/L CO2 and dose Dupla drops to get 0.15 mg/L of iron (6 to 8
drops per day depending on tank size).  We have one tank of dwarf neon rainbows
which is now nitrate limited (around 2 mg/L) but we haven't dosed N as of yet.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado
 Do you want to know how I did it?
  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts