Wild collections of aquarium gravel

At 03:48 PM 6/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Several years ago I got badly flamed for mentioning a great collection
>spot I found in Canada on the shores of Lake Superior.  Just south of
>Wawa is a place called Old Woman bay.  It is granite gravel with a nice
>red/black/brown/white mix.  Putting it through 1/4 inch screen got rid
>of the large pebbles and then a window screen flushed the sand.  I have
>over a thousand pounds in my tanks.  (lots of tanks).  I got flamed for
>stealing this gravel from the beach.  But honestly, I was discreet and
>left several million tons.

Somebody flamed you for taking *rocks* ? Oy vey.

This isn't the petrified forest we're talking about
here, this is the largest body of fresh water in
Canada, and it's not like you're stip mining it.

Everybody I know takes sand or gravel out of freshwater lakes
here. My understanding was it's a national pasttime. You must
have caught some pinheads on a bad day. Thanks
for the location.

--
Richard J. Sexton
richard at aquaria_net