Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #343

FYI.  There is another electrical condition that can be as devastating to fluorescent fixtures as ESD (lightning).  The mechanical connections to transformers on power lines sometimes become corroded.  As a result, they begin arcing.  You may have heard this as a buzzing of the transformer.  It's also accompanied
with electrical noise to TVs and radios.  If the arcing is severe enough, it will distort the AC sine wave enough to cause overheating of inductive loads such as transformers.  I had this condition take out a 700W mercury vapor yard light.  If you can suspect this condition, contact your utility company.  They
are the only ones who can fix this.  I don't know of any reasonably priced power conditioning product that can reliably handle this condition.

Regards,
Onis
k5vkq at ix_netcom.com