Cichlid Tank Plants

I have a tank with several different freshwater cichlids and am looking
for some suggestions as to what plants would be sturdy enough to take
their abuse.  I have jack dempsys, pink convicts, firemouths, and
jewels.  I had a plant in their from several years ago, which I am not
sure what it is, and it grew into the entire tank but the cichlids cut
off the stems and they floated to the top.  They grew OK on the surface,
but all of a sudden died and an algea layer formed on the surface.

Thank you:

Jason Light