Cheap kH and GH builders

What is a cheap way to increase the kH and GH of aquarium water prior to
adding it to the tank. I've been using the Dupla kH builder but man that
stuff is expensive. Since the water from my tap is soft and slightly
acidic, I was thinking about adding Recon to my RO water and then
running it through a bag of calcium carbonate or aragonite afterwards
and then mixing it w/ dechlorinated tap water. How does this sound? I've
heard someone talk about putting Baking Soda in the tank but I'm
apprehensive in doing so. Any information based on your direct
experience would be appreciated.

Walta
<")}})><