forwarded message from George

George Booth asked me to forward this for him. I'm sure you all wish him well.

Olga

***********************
Hello APD Readers,

Some of you may have noted my absense while I was on vacation. Although I
recently returned and just started a "fun" thread, I have to be off the list
again. I found out yesterday I need to have some routine eye surgery to repair
a detached retina and won't be at work for a few weeks. I owe some people e-
mail responses (Karen and Dave Gomberg epecially) but won't get to those for
awhile.  Sorry.

But, as one last post, let me say:

>Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:47:37 -0700
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: George on the soap box again

Very clever, Steve. "Hardness" measurements have their origins relating to
soap. "Soap box" -- good one.

>Clarify for me if you will, how to determine the calcium concentration
>from a GH measurement, please George? Could you also explain how to get
>the magnesium concentration??

Well, it's not rocket science. First one must buy the LaMotte Hardness test
kit model PHT-CM-DR. Using a simple titration technique, one first determines
the "Total Hardness" (their term) which is Ca+Mg. This test has a resolution
of 4 PPM.  Then, using different reagents in the same test kit, one determines
Calcium hardness (same resolution). By subtracting calcium hardness from total
hardness, you have now determined magnesium hardness.

I hope that was clear enough.

George in Colorado