Re: WHY Calcium carbonate as KH buffer

You got it reversed, calcium chloride does not affect KH, but will
increase GH.  As a pH buffer, you need the carbonate ion that is
in calcium carbonate.

Sodium bicarbonate should be your choice of buffer if you want an easy
to dissolve buffer.  The only draw back is you will accumulate the
sodium ions in the long term.  Depending on your water changing method
and buffer addition, this may or may not be acceptable.

Louis Lin