Sand/gravel background

	I like the idea of slate/rock backgrounds, but I'm worried about
weight. I was thinking of spreading a thin coat of silicone on the back of
my tank and then covering it with sand or gravel, or a mix of both, so that
I would have a natural-looking back, without too much weight. I think 10 lbs
of sand should cover my 29 gal, vs 75 lbs of rock.
	Has anyone tried this out?  Any pointers? Do any of the experienced
slate/rock background people have an opinion on how this might come out?