Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #317

Concerning the "other species " of Eusteralis

I have tried to find the current accepted name for this genus and am still
confused.
In aquarium circles Eusteralis is in general use but when searching the
"more botanical" information available (which is in short supply) it
appears that Dysophila or perhaps more recently Pogostemon are more
accepted as the correct generic allocations.

According to Cook (Aquatic Plant Book, 1990) there are 25 species from warm
regions of Asia and Australia. Local native aquatic plant enthusiasts over
here in Australia are cultivating 3 distinct forms of Pogostemon at present
(fine, standard, and wide-leaved) and all require good light and CO2
supplementation to do well.

Regards,
Bruce.

> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:56:47 -0500
> From: krombhol at teclink_net (Paul Krombholz)
> Subject: Re: Alternative plant names
>
> Tim Ayers wrote:
> >
> >I borrowed a copy of Amano vol. 2 and am looking at the plant lists
> >for some of the pictures. I haven't been able to find info for the
> >following plants and was curious if there were synonyms or similar
> >plants:
> >
> >Cryptocoryne costatus
> >Eusteralis yatabeana
> >Isoetes japonica
> >

> Eusteralis stellata is the only species I know of in the genus
Eusteralis,