Re: Ballast's heat under the tank?

>How about placing the ballasts under the tank?  Would it not help heating
>the tank and lessen the weight of the hood at the same time? Have any one
>tried this?

Good idea, in theory.  However, what I'm trying to do is to *reduce* heat
in my tank.  In the winter, it's a very good idea, however, and it would
certainly be good for the plant roots (alternative to heating cables in the
gravel?!?)

Part of the reason I'm so interested in doing this is because I've had a
lot of trouble with hair algae (and who hasn't!?).  I know the ballasts
aren't the main problem, but they do add a certain amount of heat.

--Matt