Effective penetration depth of MH lights.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had a good feel for the maximum water column depth
(surface of water to top of substrate) that 175 watt metal halides would
effectively penetrate.  By "effective" I mean that high-light plants at the
substrate such as dwarf chain swords (echinodorus tenellus) would -thrive-.
24"?  30"? ... more???  I'm thinking two bulbs over a 60" long by 24" wide
tank.  Also, any thoughts on the value of the Spider-Light reflectors made by
Digital Ocean?

TIA

Tom
In Austin, where I'm really regretting not taking any college biology or
chemistry or physics...