Re: black spot algae

     >Reid Kerr <rkerr at netcom_ca> asked about black spot algae. I think
     >this might also be the same as something sometimes referred to as
     >green spot algae. In point of fact, there may be several species of
     >algae which fit this description.
     >
     >I don't know what the scientific name of it is. Some type of this
     >algae seems to be present in soil or else it has escaped my bleaching
     >attentions. I find that it spreads under the early stages of some of
     >my soil tanks when the iron levels may be at their highest. It won't
     >go away on its own and is not eaten by anything so you have to remove
     >the affected leaves gradually and let new ones grow in as
     >replacements. Strong light seems to encourage growth of this on
     >leaves near the watersurface.

     The genus Coleochaete, a green alga, is epiphytic on aquatic plants.
     This is the familiar "green spot" algae we find in our aquaria, and
     there are several species native to North America.  A microscopic
     image can be found at:
     http://megasun.bch.umontreal.ca/protists/coleo/appearance.html

     I believe it appears black whenever it becomes sufficiently thick.

     Regards,

     Mark