black spot algae

Reid Kerr <rkerr at netcom_ca> asked about black spot algae. I think this
might also be the same as something sometimes referred to as green spot
algae. In point of fact, there may be several species of algae which fit
this description.

I don't know what the scientific name of it is. Some type of this algae
seems to be present in soil or else it has escaped my bleaching
attentions. I find that it spreads under the early stages of some of my
soil tanks when the iron levels may be at their highest. It won't go
away on its own and is not eaten by anything so you have to remove the
affected leaves gradually and let new ones grow in as replacements.
Strong light seems to encourage growth of this on leaves near the water
surface.

What is it? Anyone?

Steve