Re: Dupla Transformer

> Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:10:35 EDT
> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Re: Dupla Transformer wiring
>
> Mike writes:
>
> << THe easiest thing may be to simply cut off the european plug, buy a three
> > prong american plug and rewire it.  This would cost less than $3 and you
> > would not have to tape stuff and would not have to worry about anything.
> > Rewiring the plug is very easy and takes less than 5 minutes.
> <snip>>
>
> European countries use 50 HZ ( in this case it most likely doesn"t matter,
> except that the transformer is engineered to make allowances for this and will
> not perform optimally) and somwhere in the neighborhood of 200 volts.  IMHO
> plugging it into an American 110 line will cause it to provide half the
> current and probably 1/4 the heat output.
>
> Someone who works with electricity professionally please comment on this to
> make it official.
>
> Bob Dixon

Well, I bought mine in 1989(when Albert was in Connecticut) ....I saw the connector
and thought...cripes it's European voltage...etc...
However, I found out it is only the plug, the control unit is American standard
voltage, etc.
Believe me ...it is difficult and expensive to a get a high quality converter to
change from European to American voltage/hertz etc.
Anyways, the information is on the back of the Dulpa Control Unit and the
Transformer. I was quite relieved when I finally thought to check the unit...  :}

I been using it in a Dupla style 100gal tank since 1990 with the CO2 unit (manual
with CO test), trickle filter etc...

Bill Lynn
wlynn at vtcg_com