No Subject

Tues May 26, Susan Romano wrote about a bad shipment of plants which
were infested with WORMS and snails.
I had a similar outbreak of small white "worms" (not quite 1/4 inch)
just before I set up a new tank.  I thought at first they were some kind
of Hydra, but they were all cylindrical, no branches.  After I redid the
tank everything seemed fine for the first few weeks.  Then I noticed
some "WEB-LIKE-SLIME" coating much of the graavel and some of the rocks
and plants, and more worms (though not as many as the first sighting)  I
have since increased H2O changes and filter cleanings, as well as taken
out some of the rocks and gravel to boil.  None of these measures seemed
to have completely done away with the little intruders or the NASTY
slime coating.  Tearing apart the tank again is at the bottom of my list
of options.  I don't think the plants or the fish would appreciate
another such upsetting experience so soon.

My parameters:  10gal tank w/ vermiculite, laterite, topsoil substrate
covered loosely with pea sized gravel.  The tank is lightly planted and
stocked at this point.  DIY CO2, incandesant lighting (I know, I know)
suspended 8" above an open top tank, Tetra Brilla sponge filter (with
way too much surface turbulence until I rig up a diffuser spray bar), Ph
staying around 7.0 moving toward 6.8 with added Discus Buffer ( I am
trying to condition H20 for SA dwarf cichlids while I get together all
the plants I want).

I searched teh archives and found very little on this subject.  Most
offer water changes or letting the fish eat the worms. 1) won't too many
worms have an adverse effect on the fish health? 2) What about the
SLIME?  It's sooooo ugly : (
If anyone has a solution to this problem I would be very pleased to hear
it.

BTW thanks for all the GREAT info over the years.  It has really helped
me get my plants and tanks looking better.

JOE