Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #281

On Sat., 23 May 1998, Roger S. Miller wrote:

>On Sat, 23 May 1998, Kevin Gilpin wrote:
>
>>      I'm trying to get more information about the plant Cyperus Helferi.
>> I have not seen it in any of the plant books I own.  Amano uses it

>I can't address Cyperus helferi directly, but plants in genus Cyperus
>are sedges (usually, grass-like plants common to marshy areas).  Rataj
>and Horeman (of current controversy) describe the genus generally but
detail
>only one species (eragrostis).  Eleocharis is also in the same family.

Neil Hotchkiss (in the less-controversial  Common Marsh, Underwater &
Floating-leaved Plants of the United States And Canada) also describes only
one species (erythrorhyzos), but says of the genus:

"More than a dozen other kinds of Cyperus grow in marshes, along the edge of
marshes, or on the shores of lakes, ponds, and streams"

Doesn't sound like a low-light situation to me.

Steve Gates