Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:56:51 -0400
From: "Ken Guin" <kenguin at homemail_com>
Subject: Re: Co2 Dilemma

Olga wrote:

>Perhaps someone on the APD can help with this puzzle. Lately I have had

>unhappy fish in the morning due to high CO2 levels.

Olga:

I have been having the same exact problems, so I hope you get a lot of

I know some people turn off their CO2 at night, but that supposedly
causes
large swings in the pH, which, of course, is not recommended.  I have
found
a temporary "work-around" solution, which  evolves adjusting a filter
output
a little more toward the water surface. I know I am probably losing some

CO2
by doing this, but it keeps the fish from struggling.  My Kh and pH
levels
also indicate a safe level of CO2 (so does my LaMotte CO2 test kit), but

you
would never know it from how the fish are behaving.  I am beginning to
believe it is more of an O2 deficiency than a CO2 surplus.

Any thoughts from the List would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken Guin
Kenguin at homemail_com