Re: Funny little green things

>         Re: Funny little Green Things>
There are so many people smarter than me that I haven't been very active
at answering but I think I would like to make a few comments re this
thread.  First of all, Wolfia or fish meal as it is sometimes called is
a surface floating plant that is very tiny and is coarse to the touch.
It is about a tenth the size of duck weed.  Volvox colonies have been
well described and they are about the size of wolfia but they float in
the water.  They are not nearly as bright a green as the wolfia and the
two are as different as you could imagine.  The original requestor for
i.d. could clarify by telling us if the stuff is floating or not.

Re the other creature/plant.  I think it is a colony of plumatella which
is also known as a byrozoan or moss animal.  I haven't seen any in 35
years but they are cool to look at, especially under about a 20 power
magnification.  There is a fixed tube or case and the animal has about
15 or so tentacles that come out of the tube.  Each of these is covered
with cilia that pull food into the mouth.  When growing ideally these
things can form a brown moss appearance.   In the structure you can see
little seed like dark spots that are about half the size of a daphnia
egg.  They are obviously a filter feeder and probably related to
sponges.  My formal biology stopped in the 8th grade so you will excuse
bad spelling and some inacuracy.  I found them to only grow in fairly
good water.  While I can't be sure this is what was described, I think
it is because of the description and closeness to the true name.