green water

hello,
  I have had green water problems for a year now and got some tail rot that
killed a couple of plant a few months a go. Then a mircle happened after the
weekend the water was cyrstal clear but a few fish were died and many had tail
rot. I was wondering if it was possible that the bacteria that caused tail rot
could have killed off the green water algae?
                                                                    Denny C.