Re:Myriophyllum spicatum

Bjorn Straube said,:
>..........Personally I think they should harvest the stuff
>and compost it out, it makes incredible compost.  Water
>hyacinth is very good at removing nutrients from the water
>and when it gets sprayed it sinks to the bottom, rots, and
>just releases all those nutrients at once allowing for
>another bloom.

I would like to say, Amen to that!.  These overgrowths of aquatic plants
are a response to a lot of fertilizer in the water, and there should be
considerable fertilizer value in the plants after they are removed from the
water.  Also, by removing fertilizer in the water, they might prevent or
reduce toxic algae blooms in the costal waters, if harvested regularly.

I would like to thank Mark Fisher for all those interesting web sites on
Hydrilla and M. spicatum.

There is another plant that could be a bad "takeover" plant in the South,
and that is Limnophilia aquatica.  It has big, beautiful, bushy growth at
the surface, and it sends long, branching runners along the bottom in all
directions, in just the same fashion that Hydrilla does.  It is also a fast
grower.  It looks like a plant designed to take over large areas rapidly.

Paul Krombholz, in cool, drizzly central Mississippi.