Re: Myriophyllum spicatum

> Date: Mon, 04 May 98 09:45:39 cst
> From: mark.fisher at tpwd_state.tx.us
> Subject: Re: Myriophyllum spicatum
>
>      >I remember seeing M. spicatum in Lake Mendota, in Madison, Wisconsin,
>      >and it seemed to be a well behaved member of the aquatic plant
>      >community, not taking over the place.  I can see why we are upset
>      >with plants like water hyacinth that entirely covers bodies of water
>      >or kudzu that covers over trees and kills them, but what is the
>      >complaint about M. spicatum?  And, while I'm at it, what are the
>      >complaints about Hygrophila polysperma and Hydrilla verticillata?
>      >Are they crowding native speices to extinction? Are they making
>      >waterways unnavigable?
>
>      I've never heard of Hygrophila polysperma causing problems, nor is it
>      banned in any states I am familiar with, but Hydrilla is the number
>      one aquatic plant pest in most of the southeastern states.  Yes, it
>      clogs waterways, intakes, and crowds out native species.  Here are
>      some articles, with photos:

H. polysperma is a major pest in south Florida (IMHO) and it
is banned from sale within the state.  I've seen canals that
you could "walk across".  I have heard rumors that it
escaped from or was released by growers.  Interestingly
those same growers are still allowed to propagate it and
sell out of state.  Now I have to admit I don't know If the
growers are really the ones who the plant escaped from, not
that it really mater now (if anyone knows drop me a line I'd
be curious to know one way or another),  like I said it's a
rumor.

>      http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hydrinex.html
>      http://www.catalinas.net/seer/er/tnc/hydrilla.htm
>      http://www.dep.state.fl.us/nwd/NATIVE/D2HYDRL.htm
>
>      Interestingly, Florida and Texas have both claimed victory over water
>      hyacinth, and M. spicatum is no longer considered a problem in Texas.
>      We want to keep it that way.

If water hyacinth has been defeated here in central Florida,
then someone forgot to tell the hyacinth.  It's everywhere.
The state feels it prudent to spray it in our local
reservoir.  Personally I think they should harvest the stuff
and compost it out, it makes incredible compost.  Water
hyacinth is very good at removing nutrients from the water
and when it gets sprayed it sinks to the bottom, rots, and
just releases all those nutrients at once allowing for
another bloom.

Bjorn Straube