tissue culture of elodea canadensis

       To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
       Subject: Q: tissue culture of elodea canadensis
       From: "Dr. Thomas Wagner" <theseus at limno_biologie.tu-muenchen.de>
       Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 10:35:59 -0700

Hi there.

Does anyone of you have experience with tissue culture of Elodea
canadensis? I have the need to grow this plant under sterile
conditions for some aquarium experiments

Thanks
Thomas

You should get in touch with Michael Kane in the Environmental Horticulture
Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of
Florida, 1539 Fifield Hall, P.O. box 110670, Gainesville, FL   32611-0670,
mek at gnv_ifas.ufl.edu.

He has done a lot of work with tissue culture of aquatic plants, although I
don't know if he has cultured E. canadensis, specifically.

Another way to get sterile cultures is to sterilize the seeds.  I tried
this with E. canadensis (or perhaps it was E. occidentalis) back in the
60's using a 15 minute treatment with 50% household bleach.  I don't know
if I got a sterile culture, But I did get one free of algae that could be
grown in flasks of nutrient medium.  I believe that nowadays, mercuric
chloride is used along with  bleach in sterilizing seeds.

Good luck!

Paul Krombholz, in cool, drizzly central Mississippi.