Big pleco mistake!

>Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 12:20:21 -0400
>From: Kelly <apples at midohio_net>
<snip>
>BTW, I bought a GIANT pleco to eat the algae that is just starting.  He
>is about 1/2 lb of fish, maybe 15 inches long. <snip>

Kelly, It is nice that you are kind-hearted but it seems that you are
making one error after another. This giant pleco will eat all your plants
unless you keep him constantly supplied with zucinni, lettuce, cucumber,
algae tablets etc. It is possible that he will also be aggressive with
other fish. (Why do you think they sold him cheap?!) There are many MUCH
better algae eaters to get for a planted tank.  I'm sure there isn't anyone
who would recommend a giant pleco for a planted tank. You will have to be
strong and return the pleco. Get some Otocinclus, Siamese algae eaters,
farowellas instead. Or you can set up a tank for just the pleco. I have a
friend who did that. Anubias and Java Fern could probably survive him.

Olga
in Vancouver