Re: The purpose of Laterite and CEC

> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 07:50:22 -0400
> From: Neil Frank <nfrank at mindspring_com>
>
> If you ever inspect Dupla laterite, you will notice that it does not
> consist of ultra fine clay particles... it is more granular. This is good
> and may be the reason that it settles out quickly and does not remain as a
> colloid like other clay.

The dry Duplarit is not clay-like in particle size.  However, after it has been
in the substrate for awhile, there are definitely "ultra-fine" particles of it.
If you ever try to wash the laterite out of the gravel, you will find it is very
persistent.  If you ever reuse the old gravel without new gravel to seal it,
even after a thorough rinsing, you will have red water for weeks.  Been there,
done that.

I don't know if this affects CEC or nutrient binding but, being a laterite prig,
I felt I must speak up.

George