Re: deformed Echinodorus leaves

> I don't know if any of this is helpful, but it might prompt someone else
> with a solution to respond.
>
> What I'm thinking of is 1) repeating the kitty litter treatment on the
> assumption that what I added originally settled through the substrate and
> isn't available any more 2) doing something like the kitty litter
> treatment, but use peat instead  3) inserting some crumbs of white
blackboard
> chalk (CaCO3) into the substrate around the plant 3) adding some boron
> (from borax?).
>
> Other ideas?
> Roger Miller

A couple of months ago I had a similar problem with new leaves on
Echinodorus parviflorus coming out deformed and lacy. Due to the hard water
here,  I knew it was not a Ca deficiency, and I focused on boron. I treated
the tank with a high dose of the trace element mix that makes up the PMDDs,
and bingo, problem solved.
My previous fertilizer treatment was daily Dupla-24 drops, and occasional
nitrate and potassium additions. Now I add several ml of the trace element
solution daily and have not had any recurring problems with the
swordplants.

Michael Eckardt,
Waterloo, where apple trees are in bloom.