re:Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #237

George Booth wrote:

>Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:15:56 -0600 (MDT)
>From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
>
>> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:42:55 -0400
>> From: Kelly <apples at midohio_net>
>>
>> Day 10 in my planted 120g tank--most things look good except a few of
>> the bigger plants have a 'fuzz' on their leaves.  I assume this is some
>> type of algae--what kind?  Sould I get a few algae eater fish or use
>> some algae-destroyer in a bottle?
>
>You should have added a few algae eaters as soon as you planted the plants. By
>all means, add some now.

As another new plant tank person, I can absolutely vouch for George's
response from an experience about 3 days ago.  My 55 gal tank is now
about 16 days old, and I was given a few plants a week or so earlier
than my large plant order came in: by the time I was really ready to
start planting in earnest, those that I had added earlier were pretty
fuzzy already!  I knew the LFS had Siamese Algae Eaters, so a day or
so after planting the complete set of plants I bought two.  The next
morning, every fuzzy plant was absolutely clean!  These guys are
tremendous.

I do have a question, though: I am a little worried, now that all that
algae is gone... I don't plan on shifting my discus into the tank for
another couple of weeks - does anyone know if I will have to
supplement the natural algae with some prepared food for the SAE's?
If so, any suggestions as to what kind?

Thanks for any input,

Brent Harsh
Cary, NC - where it's rainy and warm