Re: CO2 REACTOR

        I have a 180 gallon tank with a trickle filter. I have tried
various CO2 reactors and finally found the one I put together myself works
the best for my use. I use a Eheim canister about 6" X 11" filled with
small bioballs- model 2215B. ( this is the canister with a plain top- no
motor). On top of the bioballs I places a 5" solid plexiglass disk to help
disperse the water flow over the bioballs.  In the bottom of the sump of my
trickle filter I placed a minijet 606 pump , a small pump which is 153gph.
The pump outlet is connected by flexible tube to the top of the Eheim
canister  and the water exits from the bottom which is let by a tube back
into the sump of the trickle filter.( reverse direction of a normal Eheim
filter.)
        The CO2 line is connected to a T connector that is attached to the
minijet 606 outflow. ( this connector is made for aeration when the 606
pump is used normally)
        I have a ph controller which shuts off the CO2 when the PH drops to
the set level. I have connected the minijet 606 to this same circuit. When
the controller turns of the CO2 it also turns off the mini jet.
        When the mini jet is off the flow through the canister reverses
itself and the undesolved CO2 and other accumulated gases get pushed
backwards through the minijet pump until the water level in the canister is
raised by the siphon action to the same level as the sump. (About 1/3 full)
        I have found the with a bubble rate of 2/second the CO2 is on about
80% of the time. If I were going to do this again I think a could get away
with 1bubble/second ; trying the CO2 off at night using a timer. This would
have the same effect of purging the gases from the system.
        If you don't have a sump filter, the same thing can be accomplished
with a reactor a minijet both placed inside the tank. Coral life makes a
"Chemical Reactor" that should be perfect for this.
        If any one has success or problems trying this it would be nice to
get your feed back.

Larry