Re: PMDD and MgSO4

>Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Andrew Claxton <aclaxton at yahoo_com>
>Subject: PMDD and MgSO4
>
>I am still confussed as to what the MgSO4.7H2O is in the PMDD.

It is epsom salts.  It's probably listed that way as that is the most
readily available form of MgSO4.

>I have
>straight MgSO4 from Homegrown Hydoponics.

Unlikely.  Even if it really was anhydrous at time of purchase (Are you
sure about that?), unless you store it in a desiccated environment it's
probably not anhydrous any more.

>Will this work or should I
>buy epsom salts?

Sure, why not?  Just use up to 50% less than the recipe calls for,
depending upon how dry you think it really is.

>Will any epsom salts work or are only some fully
>hydrated?  The epsom salts at my local pharmacy are not labelled.

The name "epsom salts" specifically refers to the heptahydrate.  However,
be aware that the actual level of hydration may depend on the ambient
temperature and humidity.  In any case, assuming that epsom salts =
MgSO4.7H2O is surely good enough for aquarium use.

--Bill