Mother plants

Can someone explain to me what is a mother plant (such as Anubias) and what
would be the advantage of buying one mother plant instead of quite a few
smaller plants for the same money. I'm new at aquatic plants although I'm very
experienced at house plants and outdoor gardening. This is a new experience
for me and am enjoying reading all your comments and learning all this neat
stuff.

Sandy Davis in New Hampshire (where we have 9 months of cold weather and 3
months of things that bite!)