Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #207

jeff "Kudzu" writes:
>Has anyone on the list had any experience with crawfish eating
>plants?

When I was a child of about 8 I added a 3 inch crayfish to my aquarium and
began to lose fish at a steady pace. One day I observed the crayfish
sitting still with open claws held aloft. When a fish swam close enough it
grabbed for a fin giving my lucky fish a fright. I learned to keep only one
inchers because their claws haven't yet developed enough to catch fish. Now
I couldn't tell you if they ate the live plants I collected with the
crawdads and minnows, but I do recall the crayfish eating a lot of dead
plant and fish detritus.

Jeff Kropp