Re: Madagascar Livebearing snail

> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 03:02:00 -0700
> From: Jim Wilson <freaks at aracnet_com>
>
> I just got about ten Madagascar Livebearing snails.  The desciption on the
> bag read "does not eat plants, help turn over your gravel".  Does any one
> have any experience with this snail?

They are probably Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTSs) which are livebearers.
Are they shaped like an ice cream cone?

They don't eat plants.  They stay in the gravel in the day time, unless
there are zillions of them, in which case you will see them at the surface.
They are mostly active at night, so you will see them when you turn on the
light in the morning.  They are basically good guys - they eat detritus and
some algae.  I have some in all my tanks.  When they get too numerous, I
convert them into live food.

My loaches don't eat them, but some other people's loaches do.  Correction:
my loaches don't eat them unless I crack the shells for them, but other
people have less lazy loaches.

I think it's almost snail-shipping season in Canada.  If anyone wants some
of these MTSs or red ramshorns, email me, and I'll send you some once the
weather warms up in exchange for postage or any plants or whatever you may
want to trade.  Canada only please.  Email me as bae at cs_toronto.edu.