newbies and substrates

Somehow, my name got snipped onto a statement I didn't make regarding the creation of
plant aquaria w/plain gravel substrates.

My original post just described an experiment which compared two tanks, both
using laterite (Duplarit G), but one with about twice the amount of the other.

I mentioned in there that I have had nice tanks using plain gravel substrates.
I did not say I didn't use fertilizers (beyond fish waste) however!  I have
always added fertilizer to the water, with or w/out gravel additives.  I didn't
used to use CO2 and now I do.  I didn't used to use gravel additives and now I
do.

These changes in methods were made because with the use of laterite in the
gravel, higher light levels, a good liquid fertilizer, and the additon of CO2, I
can grow most anything.  That's the big difference between the high tech method
and the low tech.  If you're happy growing mostly Cryptocorynes, Anubias, and
perhaps Hygrophila polysperma, Rotala indica and Echinodorus, then the low tech
way works fine.

But, if you want that sparkly, bubble-producing, highly productive, and most of
all DIVERSE look, the high tech tank is the way to, IMHO.  Hope all the people
who have had success w/other species w/out additives don't all come out and yell
at me now.  Just sharing personal experiences.

Roxanne Bittman