Re: Riccia Changing Colour

> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 19:18:40 -0400
> From: Neil Frank <nfrank at mindspring_com>
> Subject: Re: Riccia changing colour

> I actually got the dark green Riccia from Mr. Amano, but it is not the type
> he uses in his aquascapes. The latter is Riccia fluitans which requires the
> various tricks of using Utricularia, hair grass, Vesicularia to help it
> stay down, long term. While the R. fluitans will start to float up after
> the plant mass gets large enough (especially with a good coating of O2
> bubbles), the dark green variety (possible R. rhenana) does not require the
> various tricks to keep it down.

I'm surprised to hear that there are 2 types of Riccia but I'm quite
sure
mine must be Riccia Fluitans.  It was originally bright green in colour
when
I first planted them.  If there are some of the R. Rhenana in my bunch
of
Riccia, it still doesn't explain why they happened to be all at the
lower
portion (that's where it's dark green in colour).

Over here in Singapore, most aquarists keep Riccia submerged in the
water by
wrapping it around driftwood with netting.  Well, it will only stay
submerged
until the point when, like you said, the mass becomes too large and the
whole
bunch will float to the surface.

Loh K L