Plant roots /heating cables

Hi all,
I'm having problems with C.Balansae growing in
my lighting conditions,and i was planning on removing
them from my set up.
To do this without disturbing the cable heating system, seems
like it could create a big mess.
would I be creating another problem if I just
lifted the plants up and cut the roots at the base,
leaving the root system in the substrate?
I feel as though the lighting is  the problem as all
other plants are growing very well.Maybe I'm wrong?
lighting is as follows:
3hours 220 watts flourescent
4 hours 520 watts(300 watts M.H on timer)
3 hours 220 watts flourescent
Any input would be appreaciated.

Steve.