Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #185

-----Original Message-----
From: Aquatic Plants Digest <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com>
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Date: Monday, April 06, 1998 2:52 AM
Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #185

>Aquatic Plants Digest      Monday, April 6 1998      Volume 03 : Number 185
>

>In this issue:
>
> [none]
> steve's substrate
> PMDD QUESTION
> My Final Thoughts.
> My setup & water parameters(long)
> Water chestnut (Trapa natans)
>
>See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
>Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------Hi
all...Ive been reading the posts for quite some time and would like to ask a
few questions,if anyone has time ...What is this PMDD stuff some are talking
about? I have been TRYING to grow some plants in a 55 gal tank with mixed
results.I would like to try some fertilizer but dont want to kill or sicken
the fish..Could some one give me some pointers?  TIA  Charles

HREF="http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.9803/msg00538.html">

><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
><TITLE>My setup &amp; water parameters(long)</TITLE>
><LINK REV="made" HREF="mailto:avian at ee_net">
></HEAD>
><BODY>
><!--X-Body-Begin-->
><!--X-User-Header-->
><!--X-User-Header-End-->
><!--X-TopPNI-->
><HR>
>[<A HREF="msg00537.html">Date Prev</A>][<A HREF="msg00539.html">Date
Next</A>][<A HREF="msg00537.html">Thread Prev</A>][<A
HREF="msg00541.html">Thread Next</A>][<A HREF="index.html#00538">Date
Index</A>][<A HREF="threads.html#00538">Thread Index</A>]
><!--X-TopPNI-End-->
><!--X-MsgBody-->
><!--X-Subject-Header-Begin-->
><H1>My setup &amp; water parameters(long)</H1>
><HR>
><!--X-Subject-Header-End-->
><UL>
HREF="mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com">aquatic-plants at actwin_com</A></stron
g></LI>
parameters(long)</strong></LI>
HREF="mailto:avian at ee_net">avian at ee_net</A>&gt;</strong></LI>
> [...]
>5" thick  I plan on adding Duplarit k Pellets to the subsrtrate.  The
>lighting will be provided 2 40W Flora-Glow by Hagen, and 2 40W Aqual-Glo
>also by Hagen.  There will be one of each in both striplights, plus two
>20W 24" cool white bulbs in the original striplight.  The two new
>striplights have alunimium reflectors.  I have four halfgrown Leatacara
>curviceps, five young Bleedinghearts, one Corydoras jullii, 3 C.swartzi,
>and one Otocinclus sp.(I started with 3).
>I plan on adding three more Bleedinghearts, and eight Cardinal tetras.
>I do have some algea, but not much.  Mainly just the bright green stuff
>that sticks to the glass.  I plan on getting a small Pleco till the
>plants come then replacing him with acouple SAEs.  I do 30% waterchanges
>every week. I condition the new water with Tetra's Aquasafe. The temp is
>around eightyfive.(  The heater only runs in the dead of winter, I have
>been unsuccessful in lowering the temp.).
> I did tests on both my tap water and the aquarium water with Red Sea
>Pharm Ltd's Deluxe Fresh lab..  I did a waterchange about a week before
>the test.
>
>            Tap          Tank
>Ph          7.2          6.2
>KH          1 Deg.       O Deg.
>GH          7 Deg.       7 Deg.
>Fe          0.1 ppm      O.1 ppm
>Nitrite     0 ppm        0.05 ppm
>Toxic NH    O            0.00075ppm
>Co2         10 Triation  The color wouldn't change.?????
>

>The tank has been up and running for five years without the Penguin
>power filter and therefor no Peat.  It used to have a large Population
>of Central american cichlids.  They did very well.
> My Question is are.  Before adding plants should I turn off the
>undergravel filter and use the powerheads for watermovement. Is the
>substrate two thick, If not how do I keep the substrate from turning
>anoxic if the ugf filter isn't running.  Obviously the PH and the KH are
>too low Does this have to do with the fact that I couldn't get a reading
>on the Co2 in the tank water.  I thought that central Ohio's water was
>high Ph and KH because all the limestone, which is calciumcarbonate.
>The GH seems to be just alittle high.  Should I remove the peat from the
>powerfilter.  I plan on makeing some PMDD from recipes in the archives.
>Any thoughts on geting my water parameters in line for plants.  I know
>this was very long.  Thanks for youre patience.
>

>- --
>Aint nature grand
>
>Thom
></PRE>
><!--X-MsgBody-End-->
><!--X-Follow-Ups-->
><!--X-Follow-Ups-End-->
><!--X-References-->
><!--X-References-End-->
><!--X-BotPNI-->
><HR>
><UL>
><LI>Prev by Date:
><STRONG><A HREF="msg00537.html">Re: Ammonia (was: Ozelot daughter plants
and Jobe's sticks)</A></STRONG>