light

Hi all,

Tank data :
250 l
gravel layer 10 cm, that means that I have 40 cm from bottom of gravel to
surface.
I have 3 st 30W warm white fluorescent bulbs now this give me 90 W of light
in the tank.
I use DIY CO2 (yeast method) and I have fertilizer balls in the gravel.

The tank is hevily planted with differnt plants like:
Hygrophila polysperma, Echinodorus tenellus, Bolbitis heudelotii, Samolus,
Ludwiga arcuata, Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea', Hygrophila "siamensis", Java
moss, red ivy, Vallisneria americana, Hydrocotyle leucocephala.

I have read this articel
Low-Tech Natural Aquarium Guide
By Dan S. Quackenbush for "Freshwater and Marine Aquarium" magazine
Part 1 (Vol. 20 #2) Febuary 1997

In the section ? Incandescent Lighting
He writes "A 65 watt bulb gives me more than a 50% increase over the dual 20
watt fluorescent bulbs over my 20 gal. high. " and a little futher down he
writes "I can get 150 watts of light. That's about the equivelent of 8
fluorescent bulbs on my 20 gal."

I have found halogen lamps coulor temp 3000 K and they are 150W each. I can
also get 250W, 500W.

The question is should I get those ordinary Halogen lights or should I
upgrad the fluorescent hood so I can get in 10 bulbs warm white with total
ight wattage of 300W.

I get the same amount of light if I get two halogen lamps.

Well I know that I have asked these question before !

Do I need some liquid fertilizers ?
Is the light amount enogh or should I go for the haolgen lamps or upgrade
with more fluorescent.
I have also read that the plants like light with more red in the light
spectrum and not the yellow and the green spectrum.  What kind of bulbs do I
need. I have found full coulor fluorescent bulbs with temp coulor 3000 K, is
this the same as the halogen lamps ?
Or is there a difference ?

Regards/
Hans Sandén
Rynnings väg 24
S-360 42 Braås
SWEDEN
E-Mail hans.sanden at vaxjo_mail.telia.com
Hamcall : SM7TKL
Discus owner