diy hood/lighting and ballast mouting?

I have made a very nice wood hood with 2 sets of 2-48" flo-light
fixtures.  What I was wondering is if it is safe to mount the 2 rapid
start electronic ballast to wood?  Is this a fire hazard?  The ballast
do get fairly hot.

Is there some thing I could use to insulate the ballast from the wood?
Maybe use some stand-offs (thick washers) so the ballast doesn't
contact the wood?

or

Should I get one of those boxes,for mounting electronic gear, and
mount the ballast inside of it and wire it into my aquarium stand?

Any help from some one with experience with this sort of thing would
be helpful to me (and my landlord).
--
As Always, Thanx In Advance
Dallas