Re: Flourite and other things

Diane Politika asked:

> Being relatively new to lurking in here, I've got to ask about this
> flourite.  What is it, and how does it work.

Flourite is a commercial substrate material used in the place of or along
with sand or gravel.  This probably wouldn't effect anyone else on the
list, but being a geologist, I know that "flourite" is also a common and
often quite attractive mineral.  I find it confusing that the manufacturer
would use a common mineral name for their product.

> And here's a lighting question.  Our 30 gallon tank has two flourescent
> lights in the hood, just the standard size you buy at the pet shop.  The
> tank has NO fish losses, but the plants go slowly downhill from the
> beginning of placement.  I simply cannot imagine putting a halide or hp
> sodium light in the living room, but is this what you all are doing?

If that's two 30-watt flourescents, light shouldn't be your problem.  If
it's two 15-watt flourescents, then you probably need more light.  The
common rule of thumb is to provide 2 to 4 watts of flourescent light per
gallon, but you can get good growth with 1.5 watts/gallon if you have the
right plants and the right lights. A lot of us build our own fixtures to
get the necessary amount of light.

> And here's another question....how do you do DIY CO2?

CO2 is generated by yeast fermenting sugar water.  You can get a
not-very-interesting alcoholic beverage as a byproduct.

> Sorry about the deluge of questions, but I keep hanging around waiting
> for these things to become self-evident, but you all are beyond this
> level.

The Krib -- Erik Olson's web site at:

	http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib

provides a lot of background material, including detailed answers to
most of these questions.  Give it a good reading!

Roger Miller