Flourite

Being relatively new to lurking in here, I've got to ask about this
flourite.  What is it, and how does it work.
And here's a lighting question.  Our 30 gallon tank has two flourescent
lights in the hood, just the standard size you buy at the pet shop.  The
tank has NO fish losses, but the plants go slowly downhill from the
beginning of placement.  I simply cannot imagine putting a halide or hp
sodium light in the living room, but is this what you all are doing?
And here's another question....how do you do DIY CO2?
Sorry about the deluge of questions, but I keep hanging around waiting
for these things to become self-evident, but you all are beyond this
level.
Thanks.
--
The Greenhouse Nursery