Re: Simone's H2S Problem

Simone:

You may be over feeding your fish.  This is one case of the formation of
H2S.

Anubias really do best when attached and growing on driftwood and/or rock
wool.

KNO3 and Pflanzengold 7 _ARE_ FERTILIZERS!!

Don't forget that it takes so little fertilizing to grow beautiful aquatic
plants and the fish are producing fertilizer all of the time.  The food
that you are feeding, along with the bacteria in the aquarium are breaking
down lots of the missed food and waste of the fish to make fertilizer.  You
can eliminate many problems by NOT fertilizing unless, as Karen has said
over and over "the plants will tell you" if you look.  Many people look,
but cannot see.  Really look and you will have less problems.

Best wishes,

Merrill
<snip>
> I had to take down my gravel laterite tank in these days and I saw that
the
> Anubias' roots where totally black and decaying 1 inch deep in the
> substrate.
> Is this the cause of H2S?
>
> How come that I had this problem? Reading the article in the TAG issue I
> couldn't find anything wrong with what I did.
> I used 3mm gravel less than two inches deep, 15g tank with 3watts gallon
of
> light, water temp at 80, no fertilizer except for KNO3 and Pflanzengold 7
> (Dennerle)
>
> Can anybody tell me what I did wrong?
>
> Anyway my anubias was growing fast but not very healthy, with that I mean
> that its leaves were very easily attacked by algae.
>
> PH 6,5-7, CO2 added, GH 8, KH 5, NO3 5-10 mg/l

> PS I never saw bubbles coming from the substrate
(You would have to disturb the gravel and then you would see the laterite
"smoke" in the water for a while!)