sustrate and fertilizer

I'm still saving up $$$ and information before I have a (my first) planted
aquarium.

From what I have read here I plan to use laterite in my lower layers of
substrate.  Is there a preference to either the Dupla granular (Duplarit G)
or the pelleted (Duplarit K)?  Are their other manufactures of laterite, if
so is their product comparable to Dupla's?

Please tell me more about the use of Jobe's Plant Spikes (16-2-6) as
fertilizer.  How are the used? Should the be used? Would i still use PMDD?

So many questions for such a small glass box of water!!!!

Thanx,
Jim