Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #160

> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 00:40:20 EST
> From: IDMiamiBob <IDMiamiBob at aol_com>
> Subject: Re: Discus tank plants
>
> Ralph writes:
>
> << Could anyone make a list of aquatic plants common in the Amazon delta black
> >and back waters? Especially the kind of plants that are common in the Discus´
> >waters. What plants do you suggest for a Discus tank. >>
>
> As I understand it, Discus live mostly among tangled tree roots and dead
> leaves, in water so dark and murky it is virtually impossible for plants to
> live in.  I suggest you settle for any plants listed as being from SOuth
> America, and content yourself with that.
>
> Bob Dixon
>
> ------------------------------

Bob is right they do live in that environment.  However, Discus do enjoy plants or at
least adapt to a new planted environment better.  I use various amazon swords, java
moss and on other plant I have not yet identified.  My water temp is 86-87 F (The
discus are young yet and need the higher temp.   About 80 hardness (I think it
translates to 8GH or dh not really sure), PH is 6.  The plants love it (I yeast CO2
inject).  They grow like crazy.  I also have a bit of wood in the tank and they love
to swim between the plants like roots.  Remember most discus have been raised in a
tank with nothing!  No substrate....just a glass tank.
begin:          vcard
fn:             Mark E.  Porterfield
n:              Porterfield;Mark E.
org:            Management Consulting Solutions Inc., A BRC Company
email;internet: portrfld at nauticom_net
title:          Senior Managing Consultant, Database Technologies
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard