Algae question

I'm trying to keep my new 55 gallon tank setup free of thread algae.
Everything I have put in it up to this point is either new or has gotten the
bleach treatment. However, the fish I'm going to put in it came from a tank
that did contain thread algae and several other types. About a week ago, I put
the fish in a 5 gallon holding tank using water from that algae containing
tank. It is dimly lit by a 15 watt incandescent and contains two bunches of
anachris and a large rock to provide cover, and is aerated by an airpump, and
there have been no water changes up to now. If there is no visible evidence of
thread algae growing in the tank, is it safe to put the fish in the 55 gallon
tank? Or since the tank has water from a "contaminated" tank in it, do I need
to bleach everything, put in uncontaminated water, put the fish back in and
wait another week or so to make sure no thread algae grows?
A related question ,I guess, is how exactly does thread algae spread itself?
Is it by spores, free swimming microbes, or what?

Thanks for any help,

Matt