Fwd: metal halides

This is an email that was sent to the aquaria-freshwater list and I just
figured that this list may be better at responding to such a question...

                                     -Bryan

-- BEGIN included message

-- BEGIN included message

Hi all--again!

For my 48"x24"x24" tank-120g- fish and plants, I would like to go w/a
metal halide--pendant hanging from the ceiling.  We already have the
electrical box there and I think I like the clean look of it.  My
question now is--the pendant one appears to be more of a spotlight--will
one be enough to light the entire tank's length?  If I got 2 of
them(after I win the lottery) would that be too much light for
freshwater fish?  Is there a such thing as too much light?  How far away
from the water should the lights be?  I'm assuming a 175W bulb.  How
often do you have to replace those type bulbs?

Thanks for all your help,
--
Kelly
mailto:apples at midohio_net